News and Events
Saturday, April 4, 2015 - 4:00pm
Amoeba Charity Auction with Kurt Braunohler Benefiting LACBC
Amoeba welcomes back comedian, raconteur and jet-ski marathoner Kurt Braunohler as he hosts the April Auction! All proceeds from the auction will go to fund LACBC's Kids Ride and Activities at the L.A. River Ride – happening Sunday, June 28th at the Autry Center in Griffith Park. Get ready to bid on concert tickets to see Interpol, Belle & Sebastian, Panda Bear + more; gift certificates to The Arclight, Trader Joe’s, Umami, Urban Outfitters + more; passes to the 13th Annual Indian Film Festival; custom “Amoeba” Converse high tops; plus autographed items, collectables and more! To get ready for this auction, let's all watch this clip of how Kurt bikes a river.
When: Saturday, April 4; 4:00 p.m.
Where: Amoeba Music - 6400 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles
More on the Amoeba website!
Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 9:30am
The 6th Street Bridge is set to be torn down any day now with only an estimated closure date set. Come out for a Sunday Funday ride led by LACBC ride marshal Wayne "Ridetime" Howard, and let's cross our fingers that the 6th Street bridge will be open as we ride across a few Iconic bridges of Los Angeles. We'll also view the L.A. skyline from various points of view, so bring your cameras because you don't want to miss a good photo opportunity. And we'll make a stop at our Business Partner Donut Friend, so bring your LACBC cards to save 10% and some money!
When: Sunday, April 12; meet at 9:30 a.m., ride at 10:00 a.m.
Where: Meet at Union Station (on the Alameda side)
RSVP: Please RSVP here. If you are interested in helping as ride support, email email@example.com.
Ride Length: Approximately 26 miles total.
Ride Duration: 3.5 - 4 Hours roundtrip
Difficulty: mellow ride with minimal hills
What to bring: helmet (required), water, sunscreen, money for Donut Friend
About Sunday Fundays: Sunday Funday Rides are free and open to LACBC members plus one guest. Interested in becoming a member? Sign up for membership online (or become a member at the ride at a discounted price.
Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 9:30am - 12:30pm
Can you go car-free or car-light for one day? If so, take the CAR FREE SFV EARTH DAY PLEDGE and join the LACBC Valley Neighborhood Bike Ambassadors for the Earth Day Family Bike Ride. LA River Corp. will also be organizing an Earth Day Eco-Scavenger Hunt.
When: Sunday April 26; registration at 9:30 a.m., ride from 10:00 am- 12:30 p.m.
Where: LA River at Fulton and Valleyheart in Sherman Oaks (on the North side of Valleyheart)
Route: LA River to Orange Line BIke Path, east to Chandler bikeway (along a protected meridian), then visit the first bike corral in the SFV and head back to the LA River. We'll end the ride by giving away a great raffle prize!
Children of all ages being transported by their parents welcome; riders must be 10 or older; helmet required for all riders.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi LACBC network,
I can't believe it's been three months since I started as your Executive Director. It's been an exciting three months full of meeting a lot of you and representing the incredible work that LACBC is doing across the county--and country.
One of those places I got to represent LACBC was at the National Bike Summit in Washington D.C. I was lucky to be joined at the summit by LACBC's fantastic Policy and Planning Director, Eric Bruins, and our amazing board member and local chapter rep from Santa Monica Spoke, Cynthia Rose.
- During my week in D.C., I learned a lot. Most notably:
- The weather really is better here!
- The bike community is striving to talk about diversity and equity, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Bike advocates have great potential to make biking and the biking community feel like a welcoming place for all individuals who ride bikes--but we aren't there yet. Based on the diversity of our wonderful city, we have a real chance to be leaders in this space. As an organization, we're making a pledge to have #equity as a core value in all of our work. We'd love to hear from you on what you think about this, feel free to reach out to me personally to talk about what you see and want to see around equity.
- One of our other core values is making sure that biking is safe and accessible for all people who bike in LA county. We're going to take a leadership role locally in the national Vision Zero movement to eliminate fatalities and serious injuries on our streets.
- These two things will compliment one another and we're upping the ante on the national movement by striving for Vision Equity + Vision Zero to = safety for everyone who rides a bike.
- Finally, we spent an incredible day on the Hill talking to every nationally elected official that represents any part of LA County. We educated them on LACBC, all that we do, and the issues that matter to you!
I've been thrilled to represent this organization and am loving every bit of the job. You can always stay up to date on what I'm doing on Twitter at @lacbc or @TamikaButler. I want to hear for you. I'm here for you. Our talented team at HQ is working hard to make all of L.A. a healthy, safe, and fun place to ride a bike. Thanks for being a part of making that a reality.
- Tamika Butler, LACBC Executive Director
Check out our Storify collection of social media with some of the highlights of our trip.
In 2013, Team LACBC became the top fundraising team and brought home the coveted top fundraising pint glasses by raising over $35,000 for Climate Ride and LACBC. Last year, Team LACBC rocked Climate Ride again! We raised over $74,000 for Climate Ride and LACBC and were easily the top fundraising team. We're coming back to raise some dough, 3-peat as the fundraising champions, and ride along the scenic Northern California coast!
Climate Ride California takes place from May 17th through May 21st, 2015, and is a gorgeous cycling adventure that begins in California's historic Redwood Empire near Eureka, travels along the scenic coast, and ventures into the famed Russian River Valley before crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco.
Climate Ride participants must raise at least $2800 by May 11th, 2015, in order to participate, and if you're part of Team LACBC, we'll receive a portion of your raised funds. Have questions about Team LACBC and Climate Ride? Email Kelly Martin at kelly [at] la-bike [dot] org.
Join Team LACBC today!
Congrats to the Laemmle Contest Winners
Congratulations to the 5 winners of the Ride with Greg Laemmle contest, presented by the Laemmle Charitable Foundation!
- Edmundo Rea is Grand Prize Winner. He receives $2,500 toward his minimum.
- Mike Andrick and Erik Adler are the Second Place Prize Winners. They each receive $1,000 toward their minimum requirement.
- Lisa Frank and Lani Anderson are the Runner Up Prize Winners. They each receive $250 toward their minimum requirement.
Support a Ride at a Pre-Climate Ride Party at Angel City Brewery on April 12th
Have you donated yet to your favorite Team LACBC Climate Rider yet? Well, now's the perfect time.
Join Team LACBC at Angel City Brewery for music, beer, food, and fun! The party is FREE to attend, but you'll get some great incentives when you donate to a Team LACBC Climate Rider.
Team LACBC Pre-Climate Ride Party at Angel City Brewery
When: Sunday, April 12; 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: Angel City Brewery - 216 Alameda St., Los Angeles (Arts District)